Thursday, May 21, 2009

Toddlers and Babies

Recently I’ve been on a crusade to figure out how to discipline/raise/teach toddlers. I decided to do some research since there are "experts" out there and then I can form my own opinion and methods. I bought a few books online and have checked out a few others from the library. I finished reading Glen Latham’s Power of Positive Parenting, and I believe he has one of the best philosophies out there. I started reading On Becoming Toddlerwise, and on the first page I found a nice quote. I’m not done with the book, so I don’t know if I believe any of his philosophies yet. The author Gary Ezzo said, “When little hands pull a face close to touch noses or plant a kiss, a world of turmoil comes under the spell of a toddler’s expressions of love. All is at peace. The power of a toddler’s embrace, the joy of his smile, the comfort of his cuddling, all teach us about a simple love that is pure and unmeasured.” I like the way he describes a toddler's joy for life.

David’s newest phrase is “Come, Mommy, come!” with his entire arm circling his side in an awkward motion, pivoting not just from the elbow or wrist, but also with his shoulder. Even though I often think I’m in the middle of something more important, nothing is more important than what David wants me to do. Lately he’s been fascinated with the alphabet (thanks to Aunt Andrea’s birthday gift Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD). He wants me to spell his name or write any of the 26 letters with his crayon. I also get many requests for drawing backhoes, helicopters, a man wearing a baseball hat holding a bat and ball, and an occasional boat or horse. (I'm quite good at drawing backhoes now) It’s endearing to hear him say, “Come, Mommy, come.” I know that too quickly he will stop saying this phrase as he gets older. Right now he is so excited with life, and it's fun to see him so happy and eager to learn. He also loves Spencer, who continues to be called "Baby."

Spencer is our teddy bear--our big, little teddy bear. He is growing so fast. He still doesn’t like tummy time, and so now he just rolls to his back every time we put him on his stomach. He would much rather just sit on a blanket in the family room and play with the toys we scatter around him. He’s at the age where he loves to put everything in his mouth. He is beginning to discover his vocal chords more and more. He will make pleasant screeches, yells or noises. He hardly ever cries unless he’s super tired or hungry. He’s so patient too. The other day I found David sitting on top on Spencer’s stomach, and Spencer was just laughing. Oh dear. Good thing Spencer is big enough so he can defend himself from David. The other day I measured David and Spencer’s thighs since Spencer is almost in the same diaper size as David. Sure enough, Spencer’s thighs are 11.5 inches and David’s are 11 inches. I love it! Like I said, Spencer is my little teddy bear.

Another note: Thanks to google, I learned that green crayon on walls, table tops, and floors comes off easily with a blow dryer and a dryer sheet. Someday perhaps those scribbles will be worth millions.



2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I love your cute kiddos! Another good book is "Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child" by John Gottman.

Kori said...

I meant to ask you about "Positive Parenting". Maybe I'll have to buy it too. By the way, thanks for all your help recently watching Spencer.